Trouble with pronunciation may be solved by old-fashioned but reliable technique – tongue twisters
The more of them you practice, the easier it becomes to get the hang of the hurtfully difficult English ‘th’, ‘w’ vs ‘v’, ‘ir’, ‘ur’ and so forth.
I am happy to provide you with the set of my favourite ones that I used to hate as a student. I still dream sometimes myself holding a mirror in front of my tongue, trying to figure out if the tongue has been fixed in the right position 🙂
- Are our oars oak?
- Gertie’s great-grandma grew aghast at Gertie’s grammar
- I can think of six thin things and of six thick things too
- Kris Kringle carefully crunched on candy canes
- A truly rural frugal ruler’s mural
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
- The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday
- Something in a thirty-acre thermal thicket of thorns and thistles thumped and thundered threatening the three-D thoughts of Matthew the thug — although, theatrically, it was only the thirteen-thousand thistles and thorns through the underneath of his thigh that the thirty year old thug thought of that morning
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
- One-one was a race horse. Two-two was one too. One-one won one race. Two-two won one too.
- Mr. Tongue Twister tried to train his tongue to twist and turn, and twit an twat, to learn the letter «T»
- Thirty-three thirsty, thundering thoroughbreds thumped Mr. Thurber on Thursday
- What’s a synonym for cinnamon or is cinnamon synonym-less?
- Thrifty Theophilus, the theocratic thistle sifter, thrice thrust three thousand thistles through the slick thick of his softly throbbing thumb
- Grandma Gabby Grammer grabbed a gram of gummy goulash. If Grandma Gabby Grammer grabbed a gram of gummy goulash, How many grams of gummy goulash did Grandma Gabby Grammer grab?
- Willy’s wooden whistle wouldn’t whistle when Willy went wild
- I miss my Swiss miss. My Swiss miss misses me
- Ken can ken that Ken’s kin can ken Ken’s kin’s ken
- Three tired tigers try to throw three trees
- Tell a tall tale of a tall tailed dog, that told Tim it tap a tall ale and thump the top of Tim’s tomb
- I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am
- Six thick thistle sticks
- She sells sea shells on the seashore. The seashells she sells are seashells she is sure
- I thought a thought. But the thought I thought Wasn’t the thought I thought I thought. If the thought I thought I thought, Had been the thought I thought, I wouldn’t have thought I thought
- A big black bug bit a big black bear and made the big black bear bleed blood
- There was a little witch which switched from Chichester to Ipswich
- Freshly fried fresh flesh
- A bloke’s bike back brake block broke
- When you write copy you have the right to copyright the copy you write. You can write good and copyright but copyright doesn’t mean copy good — it might not be right good copy, right?
1) Do not try to translate them – they might twist not just your tongue.
2) Try them in the morning – they are better than jogging!